Let's try a brief quiz.
How close to achieving interoperability is your healthcare organization? Test your level of readiness with these seven yes/no questions:
1. Do you use an electronic health record (EHR) system?
2. Does your EHR archive medical images and enable other healthcare providers to assess them through zero-footprint universal viewers?
3. Can your organization easily scan data from paper-based lab results into your EHR?
4. Do the systems you have in place let you share data smoothly between various departments both internally and externally?
5. Can your organization collect, enter, retrieve and share patient clinical and billing data from the EHR?
6. Can billing statements and referrals be processed electronically?
7. Are patients able to access their own test results and communicate with your staff through a web portal or other electronic means?
So how’d you do?