RICOH TEAMS WITH NUANCE TO DELIVER PERSONAL PAPERLESS DOCUMENT MANAGER AND BRING PERSONALIZED SCANNING TO NETWORK MFP DEVICES
West Caldwell, NJ, March 31, 2009 - Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN), a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions, and Ricoh, the leading provider of digital office equipment, today announced the “Personal Paperless Document Manager” (PPDM), a new desktop application that makes document scanning and conversion with network multifunction printer (MFP) devices easier, more personalized and more effective than ever before. PPDM, designed for the Ricoh family of MFPs under the Ricoh, Savin, and Lanier brands, empowers users to eliminate paper processes by scanning documents directly to folders on a desktop and into ECM solutions. The solution will be on display in the Nuance Meeting Room (MR351) at AIIM Exposition Conference 2009 in Philadelphia, March 30 – April 2, 2009.
PPDM makes scanning personal by letting users customize the MFP touch-screen menus directly from their PC, without the need for IT resources or intervention. The user experience is enhanced due to the seamless integration of a powerful desktop application with intuitive icon-based selections on the MFP touch-screen. The solution allows scanning at the MFP with single icons for scanning to the desktop, network locations and content management systems such as Microsoft® SharePoint™. Finally, PPDM makes scanning far more effective by making it easy to accomplish many tasks – such as scanning to the desktop, creating a searchable PDF and converting to a formatted Word document – with one selection at the MFP.
“The addition of personalized scanning features within the PPDM solution is impressive, as users can now instantly customize their MFP touch-screen experience right from their computer. By making scanning easy and personal, and by enabling paperless PDF workflows from the desktop, individuals can streamline document management processes and help make their organizations more successful overall,” said Ron Potesky, senior vice president, Corporate Communications, Product/Solutions & Channel Marketing, Ricoh Americas Corporation. “Our customers face increasing pressure to improve workflow, enhance security and cut costs each day. Working with a company such as Nuance enables Ricoh to hold true to our mission of providing robust and stable solutions that address our customers’ specific business needs and provide them with tangible tools to help improve their bottom-line.”
Personal Paperless Document Manager – Easy, Personalized and Effective
· Desktop Productivity – PPDM simplifies scanning with features that allow users to combine scanned documents with existing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint content – all with drag and drop ease.
· Enhanced MFP User Experience – PPDM leverages Nuance’s patent-pending PaperPort PSP server component to provide users with clear icon-driven selections on Ricoh MFP devices, with automated delivery directly to the user’s PC.
· Personalized Scanning – With the PPDM server in place, users can directly customize their MFP scanning menus on any Ricoh MFP on the network, eliminating IT customization requests and freeing the time of busy IT staff.
· Robust Support for PDF – PPDM includes both PDF-MRC, which compresses scanned color PDF to be up to eight times smaller than image PDF files, as well as PDF Converter Professional, which adds allows users to create PDF from any PC application, and provides robust support for viewing, annotating and editing industry-standard PDF files. PPDM also supports advanced PDF features such as redaction, form-filling and digital signatures.
· Time Saved – PPDM includes Nuance’s OmniPage software, the most accurate way to turn paper and PDF into editable Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents – complete with text, columns, tables and graphics. With the average office worker able to type at about 35 words-per-minute, and an average page of text containing 500 words, the document conversion features in PPDM can save 15 minutes per page compared to manual typing.
“Ricoh is a leader in MFP solutions for many reasons, not the least of which is its deep understanding of customer needs,” said Robert Weideman, general manager and senior vice president, Nuance Document Imaging Division. “PPDM isn’t simply a scanning application, but rather a document desktop that makes it easy to use, share and store all the documents on a user’s PC. With this new solution Ricoh has made it possible for organizations to provide their staff with everything needed to save hours every day by instantly turning paper into online digital documents.”
PPDM will be available in early Summer 2009 from Ricoh.
About Ricoh Americas Corporation
About Ricoh Americas Corporation Ricoh Americas Corporation, headquartered in West Caldwell, N.J., is a subsidiary of Ricoh Company Ltd., the 73-year-old leading supplier of office automation equipment and electronics, with fiscal year 2007 sales in excess of $22 billion, a 7.3 percent increase over the previous year.
Ricoh Americas Corporation is a leading provider of document solutions. Ricoh’s fully integrated hardware and software products help businesses share information efficiently and effectively by enabling customers to control the input, management and output of documents. Ricoh’s line of document management devices include, color and black & white multifunction products, facsimile products, printers, scanners, digital duplicators, production printing products and wide format engineering systems. Additionally, Ricoh offers a wide variety of document and printing solutions directly and through strategic alliances enhancing office productivity and document workflow. Ricoh’s document management software enhances workgroup collaboration and offers secure storage, retrieval and sharing of critical information.
Ricoh Americas Corporation directly or through its network of authorized independent dealers markets and distributes products in North, Central and South America. Ricoh brands in the U.S. include Ricoh, Lanier and Savin.
Nuance Communications, Inc.
Nuance (NASDAQ: NUAN) is a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with information and how they create, share and use documents. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance's proven applications and professional services. For more information, please visit Nuance.com.
Trademark reference: Nuance, the Nuance logo, PDF Converter Professional, PaperPort and OmniPage are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other company names or product names referenced herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
# # #
The statements in this press release that relate to future plans, events or performance are forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including risks associated with market trends, competitive factors, and other risks identified in Nuance’s SEC filings. Actual results, events and performance may differ materially. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof.